Thursday, July 09, 2015

The European Trip, Day 32 - Last Day of Uraling in Europe

Today was my last day of riding the rental URAL sidecar rig.  I was on the Ranger/GearUP which behaved a bit differently from the Retro I'd been riding for the last 8 days or so.

It was also an older carbureted model, the Ranger, and it had a modified factory windshield attached which made it a bit wiggly when the winds hit it right.  It was quite windy today too, which made things interesting in handling the new-to-me rig until I adapted to it.

Today's last day of riding would involve castles and the Donau river, which turns out is the German name for the Danube river!

First stop was the Burg Clam near the town of Klam, Austria.  Weird name eh?  Made it to the castle just fine, it was quite small compared to say Festung Hohensalzburg, the big castle which made Salzburg famous but it was still scenic.

Burg Clam

It functions these days mostly as an event location, for instance, there was a stage already in place near the castle, preparing for a concert called Live at 25, or something like that.

Next up, a few kilometers away in the town of Grein, was another castle/palace...situated right across a street which bordered the Danube Riber.  Greinburg an der Donau.






Next stop was riding along the Danube River, seeing what I could see.  A very scenic area, little towns with houses dotting the lush green hillsides.  You could see barges being pushed up the river by tugs, horses and cows grazing and folks riding the bicycle path seemingly without a care in the world.

As I rode along, I spotted an imposing twin spired church in the distance, high on a hill.  

It was the Church of Maria Taferl.  Rain was starting to come down as I pulled into a nearby parking lot so I went first into the church to both look around and shelter from the rain.

I bet you thought there'd be no more church interior shots right?


A view from the church, of the Danube River




Next, I wandered over towards the small town of Saint Georgen, which had been mentioned to me in an email recommending routes, by Hari; the owner of the URAL dealership.


Saint Georgen

Weather was rolling in and I really didn't want another thorough soaking like yesterday so I started heading back towards Marchtrenk.

Didn't quite make it to Perq before the rain caught up with me so I pulled over to don my rain liner and stow the camera into the sidecar's trunk out of the weather.

I then kept riding, in a light rain, that only lasted a few more minutes or I managed to ride west out of it.  Either way, no big soaking today.

Made it back to the hotel a little after 4:30PM or so and logged into work.  Saw an email from Hari and we coordinated my returning the rig to him this everning, and he brought me back to the hotel in the BMW URV used yesterday.

Good rental experience with Ural of Austria!  I updated yesterday's posting about what they found wrong with the Retro rig I'd ridden before.  They found nothing, the darn engine just turned right over and ran when they thumbed the starter this morning.  Sigh.  They think "something" got wet in the "toad-strangler" rain storm I rode through yesterday, and the water had evaporated overnight.

So that finishes my European Riding section of the European trip.  My thanks to my loving wife Martha, whose idea it was for me to do this.  I board the train tomorrow for Frankfurt's airport where I've booked a room nearby.  I fly on Saturday back to the good old US of A!

Sign from town of St. Georgen

15 comments:

SonjaM said...

The cloudy skies make for a dramatic backdrop, somehow very fitting for the last day of riding, don't you agree?

I very much enjoyed your journey, Dom. Some of the places I have seen, some of this are worth a (repeat) visit.

Isn't life great? Wishing you a safe trip back to the U.S. of A. I bet your family will expect you with great anticipation.

We'll meet again, of that I am sure.

RichardM said...

The clouds in several of the pictures made quite a backdrop for the castles. It was nice that you were able to use the Ranger for the rest of the rental period. I went through some real gully washers on this trip but the only "issue" was that it started to run rich during the rain storm. I guess Ural's weren't designed to run in the rain...

VStar Lady said...

Dom, you and Sonja both have a knack for capturing the clouds. It has been great to follow you. Safe journey home.

VStar Lady said...

Dom, you and Sonja both have a knack for capturing the clouds. It has been great to follow you. Safe journey home.

Steve Williams said...

Wow. Really, wow, what a trip. I sort of drooled at the thought of riding around near Cortina. While it's really Vespa territory the URAL would do. I really have to admire your riding and persistent photography. Seems like a fantastic trip.

Always sad for them to end but I suspect it's recharged your batteries for a long time to come. Safe travels home!

redlegsrides said...

I am looking forward to being with my family again SonjaM, and back home as well. I'm not sure at this time that I am ready to be a RTW rider. It was great fun, all of it, and some good learning experiences too. Thanks for following along. I look forward to our next meeting.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, dark clouds are best for a little drama in pictures to be sure. I have a theory re water and the fuel pump, must examine how it's connected on my rig vice the Retro.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks VStar Lady for your comments and for following along.

redlegsrides said...

You'll be unsurprised and amused Steve, to know I was passes by many Vespas and Scooters while moving at Ural speed. A bit tired of traveling right now but I believe you're right, it should date my wanderlust for a bit.

Trobairitz said...

Glad you only got a little dousing this day.

Bittersweet for the trip to come to a close.

Me thinks you will be happy to get home to the family and sleep in your own bed though.

redlegsrides said...

Trobairitz, verily will I be glad to be home.

Bob and Sharon said...

Thank you ever so much, for sharing your trip with the photos and narratives I've really enjoyed your trip, and glad you had no issues with the Ural.

Bob

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for following along, Bob and Sharon, thank you also for commenting...

Chris in Cowtown said...

I truly enjoyed following along, I looked forward to your post each day. Thanks for taking many people along for the ride! Safe trip home.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for following along, Chris in Cowtown.