Thursday, July 17, 2014

New Job....not much riding.

So I started working for a new company this past week, Emerald Data Solutions, as their network/infrastructure engineer.  It's a virtual company in that all employees work from home.  Yep, 100% work from home, no more commuting in the crap traffic that is Denver traffic.

I flew to Park City, Utah this past weekend for a team summit and meet most of the folks comprising the 24 person company.  Yep, small company with a family culture I am told and everyone was very welcoming from the president on down!  I've spent too much time in the big company/enterprise and I think I will like it here at EDS.  Oh, and I will be a full time employee again, not a contractor this time.

Got back home on Sunday and have barely ridden perhaps three hours since then!  I rode yesterday to the Encana data center to return some gear and today I spent several hours at the CenturyLink data center where EDS gear is hosted.

Lots to do, lots to learn about the environment, and so have spent some long days trying to get up to speed on the environment.  Once I get spun up, I think there will be more opportunities to ride, work, ride some more and then of course, repeat.

What I am hoping to do is ride to camping locations with good WIFI Internet connectivity, work as needed and then finish the day with some riding!

I see interesting and fun times ahead, both for riding and working.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dom:

Congrats on your new job. Could be great if you can find WiFi "whilst on the road", and if you can't then we will know where to find you

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

RichardM said...

Congratulations! Not a contractor but a regular employee plus being able to work from wherever there is Wi-Fi! I assume that the company needs an extensive network infrastructure to support their service offerings. With a Verizon Mi-Fi and a wireless access point in your trunk you wouldn't even need to find a campground with Wi-Fi.

Trobairitz said...

Congrats on the new job. If you can work from home you can work from the road.

SonjaM said...

My favourite job: working from home (or wherever there is WiFi). On the road every day... well, one can dream...

Enjoy your new job.

Spat said...

Congrats on the new job. I guess I'll quit looking for you coming out of the the high priced sidecar parking garage. Too bad I just found another wierd little lunch spot downtown too. It sure sound like a no-brainer job choice.

Bob and Sharon said...

Dom
Congratulations on your new position it sounds like it has a little more security

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Bobskoot, we shall see how things go ....

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, the servers and related gear are colo'ed in Centurylink DCs in CO,VA and soon Ontario for our Canadian subscribers. MIFI is expensive! I'll just have to plan trips carefully.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Trobairitz, yep and I even had two of the execs confirm I wasn't mistaken on that idea!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, I still need to get spun up and adjusted to the company culture but it's all looking good.

redlegsrides said...

Spat, not going to miss working in the downtown area....I will miss out ocassional lunches.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Bob and Sharon, I've found there really is no security in jobs anymore....still, this job could be a lot of fun.