Friday, October 18, 2013

A Dusting of Snow and a new Two Wheeler in the Garage

We woke to perhaps an inch (tops) of snow, accumulations were on the grass and vehicles parked outside, none on the streets.

I went to breakfast with a couple of friends of mine and it snowed lightly on me on the way there, nothing remarkable really, more like fat rain.

After breakfast, I stopped at a nearby tree-lined row for a shot of the snow on the trees before the warming sun melted all the snow away; after all, the forecast high temperature for today was 48°F!


Now, as to the new (to me) two-wheeler I've added to my garage.

No, it's not another motorcycle for the collection.  It is instead, another tool in my self-recovery repertoire of tools.  Today I bought from Darrell S. a friend and fellow Uralista, his Aluma 638 trailer.  Now I no longer have to impose on folks with trailers, for when a motorcycle or sidecar rig breaks down on me while out riding.


Oscar to the Rescue, again.
Full story here: LINK

The above picture shows when one of my rigs has had to be towed:  Now Oscar, stalwart fellow and friend that he is, always responds with "Ready", whenever I go on a long ride and text him: "Ready the Alert Trailer!".  Now, that won't be necessary as I have my own trailer and it's easy to hook up onto Martha's BMW X5 Urban Assault Vehicle.

I brought the trailer home this morning, as I was off from work, and Darrell was able to meet me briefly at his home to do the transaction.  Being of aluminum construction, this trailer is very light at 300 lbs but can hold my sidecar rig comfortably and allow cruising at 75 mph with no issues.





Darrell said it's a 2012 model, so newer than the reliable trailer I recently borrowed from Craig H., another fellow Uralista and friend, who owns an older version of this same trailer model.  It was Craig's trailer that I borrowed for a week long trip to Wisconsin this past July: LINK.

The trailer fits in the garage, parked mostly in the same bay used by Valencia.  I'm thinking of either widening the fence gate to allow me to roll the trailer into the backyard.  Or cobbling up a wheeled platform onto which I can put the trailer on, sideways, then roll it through the gate, tilting it back onto its two wheels once clear of the fence.  More thought required on that.


Update: Gate to backyard widened.  Now she sits outside in the elements, but since she's aluminum....

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Dom:

I like your trailer. I have a 3-rail one too but I can't load my bike by myself as it is a bit too high. I wanted to put in a "drop" axle to lower it and change to a larger Dia wheel.

We sold our tow vehicle so now we can't use it. We park it sideways leaning against the sundeck. I wanted to get one of those folding Harbor Freight models which are on sale now.

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Canajun said...

That's a good looking trailer. Don't know how I could get along without one, especially after I sold the pickup.

Erik R said...

That's a nice looking trailer. I have a 4x8 utility trailer, but a ramp like that would make it so much more useful.

RichardM said...

Nice trailer! Only 300# and a very nice ramp.

It looks like you have a whole lot more snow than Fairbanks. Supposedly it was 54F today. Nice riding weather...

redlegsrides said...

That's the beauty of the one Bob, very light so even Miles can connect it up. Drive on the rig, and th black stripe is your guide.

redlegsrides said...

Canajun, am kind of hoping it'll work as reverse juju in terms of needing it for breakdowns. :)

redlegsrides said...

Erik, 4x8 would be too narrow for my sidecar rig. The ramp is definitely a must for me. Thanks for commenting.

redlegsrides said...

All the snow is already gone in the metro area though I hear a couple of nearby ski resorts have already opened a run or three.

SonjaM said...

I like your new two wheeler! We were thinking about getting one to take the Vespas with us on long distance trips e.g. to Spain or Norway. But the cost doesn't justify owning one. It is way cheaper to rent one when needed.
BTW we had a balmy 24C (75F) over here, and played outside the whole day.

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM....hmmm, can the scooters be taken aboard the marvelous european train system perhaps?

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM....hmmm, can the scooters be taken aboard the marvelous european train system perhaps?