Monday, March 04, 2013

Book Review: France in America

Shortly after the start of February 2013, I received a mysterious brown package from an address in Washington state.  I quickly opened it up and it was indeed Gary France's beautifully made book on his travels through our United States on his Harley Davidson motorcycle: The Leading Ladies.

Some of the beautiful artwork on Gary's Harley Davidson Motorcycle

Click the link to see my posting on riding with Gary to the top of Mount Evans: LINK

The books is superbly crafted, replete with great photographs and smooth flowing narrative that takes the reader along for the ride as Gary explores his way across the country.  The format is along the lines of a coffee table book so it would be a great addition to any motorcycle rider's collection, especially riders who actually ride the long miles and have that urge to see what's at the other end of a distant valley or mountain range.

The book is a great source for a British moto-blogger's perspective on the sights and people he saw while traveling through this country of ours.  I found it very interesting to see how Gary saw things through the filters of his upbringing and culture.  It was also very entertaining!

Martha and I were privileged to host Gary for a day or so when he was touring Colorado.  He's a jovial, refined and self-effacing British rider who was living out a lifelong dream, so glad we were a small part of it.

If you love well-written travelogues, this book is for you.  Thanks for the book Gary, I look forward to riding with you once again some day.  Anytime you're in Colorado.....there's a spot for you at our home; and bring Jackie along this time!  :)

Link to where you can buy the book: LINK

Here's a video from Gary.
It's the best way to get a good background on the whys and
wherefores that brought about this book:


Previously: One Year Anniversary Ride with Valencia and Uralisti

4 comments:

SonjaM said...

+1 what you had to say about Gary's book. I have just finished with my review and will get it up in the next hour. We got to spread the word...

Gary France said...

Dom, thank you for your kind words about my book. It was a real pleasure to meet you, Martha and the boys when I was in Colorado. You were very generous with your time to show me around and of course, to take me to the top of Mt Evans.

I am glad that you are enjoying the book. I hope that through the eyes of a visitor to America, I did justice to your great country. If my book encourages just a few more people to get out there and explore what America has to offer, then that will be a good thing.

Best wishes, Gary.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM!

redlegsrides said...

Gary, it was our pleasure hosting you, such an easy guest.

I think your book is a great example of your being a "Good Ambassador"....I look forward to your next travelogue!