Monday, March 02, 2009

Castle Rock's Skyward Train

A short posting about one of the eye-catching public art structures in the nearby town of Castle Rock.

From the town's newspaper article about this art: LINK to full article.

“Local backbone” is the title of artist Rafe Ropek’s elevated sculpture: a 20-foot-tall, school-bus yellow train aiming skyward. At night, the train’s headlamp beams toward the top of the town’s signature rock formation.


Ropek envisioned the train invoking an appreciation of the community’s mining heritage, of which the railroad was a “backbone.” The train’s strength and flexibility, meanwhile, are a reflection of the town’s bright future, he said.


“Having the train aim skyward demonstrates optimism. It is as if the train is rising out of the ground as it leaps to new adventures beyond the everyday,” said Ropek, a Berthoud, Colo., artist.



So, this posting is for you Jack!

3 comments:

Brian said...

I'm leaving this as a comment because I can't find a way to drop you an e-mail. I just moved to Centennial in August of last year from Utah. Been looking for local folks to ride with or a club. I ride an R1150GSA. I'm originally from Kentucky and since I bought the bike 1 1/2 years ago, I have only gotten to take one long distance trip on it (Utah to Kentucky for my little sister's wedding). I'm not familiar with the local rides, yet, but really looking forward to getting out this summer and doing as much as I can! Best e-mail to contact me through is gilhaye@comcast.net .

Cheers!
Brian

redlegsrides said...

Hello Brian

Sending you my email soon. I would be glad to show you some of the roads I tend to frequent if you wish.

irondad said...

I've been thinking about this since you posted it. My hope was to think of something intelligent and witty about the train to comment on. I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and admit defeat. A train pointing to the sky is beyond me, I guess.